Friday, January 7, 2011

Had a fun opportunity tonight. Lane's brother and sister in law are moving to Oregon (this is a sad fact), and last night they headed up there to look for houses. Peggy and Gary were watching their boy, Colt, who is just shy of year. Well, come to find out they didn't communicate plans very well and Peg and Gary had plans they couldn't break Friday night leaving Colt without a sitter. They asked Lane if he could watch him, but he had work. So I volunteered for the job. Colt is such a doll. The amount of slobber that comes out that boy is astonishing though!! He's such a happy kid. We just played with him for a few hours prior to bedtime. At one point Lane was holding him and I accidentally switched on the ceiling fan above the kitchen table for a second...Colt was hooked! He LOVED the combination of the lights and the spinning. Lane held him there, every once and a while reaching up to spin the fan around, and Colt just stared and pointed and grunted in amazement. It was fun.

Soon it was time for bed so I gave Colt his bottle and rocked him while Lane took a shower. He didn't even finish the whole thing before he was down for the count. I laid him in his crib and shut the door. Monitor on, I went into the kitchen, peeled an orange and waited for Lane. He came back upstairs right around the same time his brother Clark got home. Lane and I were hungry and were deciding what to eat for dinner. Clark volunteered to sit with Colt for a minute while we ran to grab dinner, but right when we decided what to eat, Colt woke up. He was fussy for a second but calmed right back down when I went in the room. I tried just stroking his head for a minute to see if he's fall back to sleep but no luck. That's when the real adventure began.

Two hours of hyper gibberish Colt later, he finally went down again. He just wasn't tired! I'd rock him and he'd doze, but the second I put him down he'd open his eyes right back up and be WIDE awake. It was actually amusing more than frustrating because for a baby his age that was that tired, I just couldn't believe he was so darn happy! He's adorable.

Sleep finally overcame him and Lane and I ordered pizza and spent the rest of the evening pondering what children will really be like. I'm grateful for family and for the Boyer's allowing me to be an unofficial part of theirs.

1 comment: