Saturday, July 9, 2011

BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE!!!

I spent a glorious week in Lake Powell recently. The combination of family and sunshine leaves one wondering if it can get much better than this. Little did I know that waiting for me when I returned was an evening that would blow my week out of the water!

Lane had asked me while I was gone if I would be ok going on a double date with one of our friends the Saturday after I got home. I of course agreed. We had doubled with this friend on our first date and had a blast and I was most definitely looking forward to spending time with my handsome man the moment I got home from my vacation. I missed him the rest of the trip and couldn’t wait to get home.

Saturday finally rolled around and Lane picked me up for our date. Keeping his composure so well that I didn’t even have any inkling something was “special” was going on, we enjoyed a meal at Olive Garden with our friends. Back tracking some, for our very first date, Lane and I went to dinner with this same friend and then out to some land he had to do a bonfire. They had decided they wanted to go have a bonfire again on Saturday. I wasn’t extremely excited about this bonfire idea as it had looked very rainy and windy as we were driving out. But I tried not to be a huge grump.

We stopped at the store to pick up some supplies to make éclairs over the fire  (which I found out later this was just to stall for time). Lane said we didn’t need all the supplies because some of them were at his friend’s house and we would stop on the way out to “the island” (a.k.a where the fire pit is) and pick up everything else. We stopped at Weston’s, he jumped out and said he needed to get his date a jacket as well so Lane piped in “We’ll just head over and get the fire started and meet you there.” Lane still had never made one moment seem out of the ordinary and I had no idea what was coming.

We drove out to the island, parked the car and started walking towards where the fire pit is. There are tall reeds and bushes so you have to walk a ways before you can see anything, but as we came around the corner the fire was already lit. This is how dense I was tonight, even with the fire lit, I still didn’t think anything of it. I just thought some other people were there like the time before. It is seemed like a popular place the first time we came. But then I noticed some tiki torches lit all along the path leading up to the fire…then I noticed there was candle light flickering in sections all around the outer edge of the island…then we got closer and I noticed a basket…and a rose…and a note. It read:

“Remember how we first met?”

I know it took me a while, but I finally got what was happening and started to cry. Turned out, the candlelight lining the island were little “stations”. Each one had a rose and a memory nest to it. At the 12th station there was 13 roses with a note that read:

“Remember how the best is yet to come?”

And there was a little sack next to the roses. Lane said “I think you should probably open the sack.” I did and sure enough nestled in the bottom, under tissue paper that was the colors we’ve picked for our wedding, was a little black box. I pulled it out and as I did he dropped to one knee.

“Kelsee, will you marry me?”

GAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot think of any word(s) to describe the happiness I felt inside at that moment. I of course said “YES!!” without hesitation, and as he stood up to kiss me, our own personal firework show started on the  other side of the pond. His brother and friend had been watching for the one-knee moment and when it happened they set off the greatest fireworks I’ve ever seen! It could not have been more perfect. I’ve been on cloud 9 ever since and don’t plan on coming down…and the best is yet to come J




POST NOTE: I was recently chastised for not playing the name game in the above post. The set up and fireworks were provided by my amazing brother-in-law to be, CLARK BOYER, and our just as equally amazing friend BONES (aka Brett Goodwin). Many great and boisterous thanks for your valiant efforts in the wind and rain to make out night impeccable :)

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you! What a beautiful engagement story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love your ring! Lane did a way good job with everything! Tell him good job! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! Your ring is gorgeous....just like you! And, he is one lucky guy! Love from all The Larsen-Schmidt Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest most awesome way to propose I've ever heard of. I'me super happy for you two!!

    ReplyDelete